LV and WV Reflection

Jefferson Veliz

Professor Mark Jamison

FIQWS 10108

10 October 2018

Can you have a job that contradicts your beliefs? Reflection

Prior to starting my essay, I carefully read the requirements of my assignment to make sure I understood it. While Reading chapter 2, “designing your life” by Bill Burnett and Dave Barnet, I began to deeply understand the context of what the assignment was about. It was required for me to understand the importance of building a compass because it is an important aspect for designing your life. As a result, I knew my essay was about my beliefs about workview and lifeview, and how they interact with each other. Therefore, I met most of the requirements of the assignment. For me, to be able to meet the requirements, I began by making an outline. Then, I thoroughly explored my ideas on my view points about life and work. In addition, I added personal experience and alternate sources to support my essay. Also, referring to the CLO, I executed the use of rhetorical situation throughout my essay.

Moreover, the usage of rhetorical situations helped me during the writing process. The rhetorical situations that impacted my essay were purpose, exigence, stance, and audience. The purpose of this essay was to inform readers about my workview and why we are here. This essay helped me explore deeply on my ideas of life. While writing the essay, I understood the importance of having an audience and guiding the readers to comprehend what I will be discussing. I wanted it this essay not just to be read by my professor, but by students and hardworking people to use it as an advice on why understanding their beliefs is crucial. After receiving feedback from the Professor, I asked some of my peers if I could read their essays. I realized my essay was more argumentative than exploring my views about work and life. The rhetorical situation that have the strongest influence throughout my writing was stance because in my thesis and topic sentences, I was stating my perspective on workview and lifeview. At last, exigence played a role during my essay when I was writing about the importance of how we should balance our workview and lifeview. In my final submission, the rhetorical situations played role in shaping my essay better and it helped me think outside the box about who I want the audience to be for this essay and the word choice throughout my assignment.

Referring to the Course Learning Outcomes, some outcomes of the requirements for this essay were met, but not all of them because several are found in research papers. One of the requirements I met was to develop strategies for reading, drafting, collaborating, revising and editing because I used an outline. Then, I started drafting and took my essay to the writing center for revision and feedback, but before doing that, I proofread my essay to detect any mistakes. Another requirement I met was research. I did research on other people’s beliefs. I was able to read different and similar opinions about their beliefs. This was helpful because I was able to use quotes to support my idea, and I was able to use other people’s perspectives too. Also, I practiced systematic use of citation convention. I had to quote using MLA format throughout my essay. At last, the usage of rhetorical situation played a role in my writing because it helped me organize and think thoughtfully about the word of choice and tone in my lifeview and workview  essay. Peer review day was a wakeup call for me because I received some good feedback. As a second English learner, I have problems when it comes to punctuation or sometimes grammar. For me it was mandatory to take my essay to the writing center, so I could get feedback on my mistakes. I took my essay three times to the writing center. The first time, I was trying to make a stronger thesis statement than the one I had. The second time, I took it to get feedback on the content of my essay and its structure. The third time, I went to get help with the last revision of my essay.

To conclude, I never had an essay compared to this where I must express my ideas on lifeview and workview, so I believe it was challenging for that reason. My goal for this essay is to get a high grade. Therefore, I decided to challenge myself to use more advanced vocabulary.